Site Meter

Monday, January 25, 2010

Taking Things Easy

I still haven´t been to the zoo yet but yesterday was Sunday, the busiest day to go (so not much chance of actually seeing the animals) and today is Monday, where most things are closed. The shops and restaurants are all open but musuems and banks are closed. So tomorrow I'll get up bright and early and spend a nice day at the zoo and the park.

I really haven't been doing a whole lot but it's what I needed after the madness of Christmas and getting ready for my travels. I don't really feel like I should be doing anything. It's just nice to finally be here.

As far as cultural differences go, it's kinda hard to write about. I have always felt that city's are much the same all over the world. Mexico city obviously has it's differences but you are still never too far away from a Starbucks or McDonalds. It's certainly a different experience to when I went to Thailand. For a start, I was in a small city in Thailand that, despite the monkey's, didn't see a whole lot of tourists. So, when the locals saw a white face they would stare and shout 'Hello' and giggle with their friends. Obviously they´re much more used to tourists here and so I am ignored for the most part. Which suits me just fine. It's nice to be anonymous. You don't get that in a small town like Ballymena.

I am looking forward to making my way down south. I have plans to go to Oaxaca and San Cristobal De Las Casas before I cross the border to Guatemala. I would like to make a little beach trip though but I haven't decided where yet. Ah, that's the best part, having no real plans to stick to. It's always how I imagined travelling to be. Just ambling along and seing what happens. The reason I'm staying so long in Mexico City is 'cos I'm waiting for Danny Boy to get here and because I have some friends here.

Anyway, today I may go to Parque Mexico, which although is nowhere near as big as the park that houses the Zoo and museums, it is meant to be the nicest park in Mexico. I have always loved parks and just hanging out there to read will be pleasure enough for me.

No comments: