Site Meter

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

What to do?

I need some advice. I'm rotten with a head cold. Symptoms include: blocked nose, splitting head-ache, general feeling of lethargy and an intolerance to loud high pitched noises, like screaming babies. My line manager asked me if I wanted to go home today and I, like the fool that I am, said I was ok. Good thing that I did though as we were busy today and already two men down. It was hard on me though and I'm suffering for it now. My manager let me home 15 minutes early (she's a good woman that one) and told me if I was still feeling bad this evening to phone in later tonight to let them know if I wasn't coming in.

So do I phone them? A day off tommorrow would be so nice. But it's only been about 3 weeks since I was last off sick. And although I do feel poorly I am actually physically capable of working and feel like I'm just being a big wuss. What to do? I'm not used to taking days off work due to sickness. When I did student support I was self-employed so if I didn't work I didn't get paid (although this wasn't always strictly true but you know what them students are like). With it being term-time work and part time, money was always tight so if I was sick I'd do the hours anyway. Except for once when I was dying so badly from a hangover a student sent me home. He was very sweet about it and even offered me the bus fare so I didn't have to walk home.

I have 3 hours to decide whether or not I should go to work tomorrow. I feel a little better now but surely that's because I'm resting and if I wake up early tomorrow I'll probably feel worse. If I do I could still phone in but if I did it tonight I could have a proper lie-in. Or I could just go in tomorrow and keep my sick days for when I really need them because like the ever pessimistic, hypochondriac that I am, I'm sure to get really ill sometime in the near future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say. I guess if I were you I would go into work, but I would only be coming into contact with a small number of people. You, on the other hand, could be passing your germs to lots of little kids and their parents!

hootchinhannah said...

That makes me feel bad. So you're saying I should probably stay at home, right?

Nelly said...

There's a card from Romy here for you.

hootchinhannah said...

It's probably from Pakistan. That's where she's on her holidays.