Site Meter

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I have must have this look on my face that says 'anyone working for a charitable organisation please approach me and I will give you all my money' I never do though. I always have some excuse about being a student, or having a crap job and then I quickly divert attention by asking them how I could get a job working for their organisation. Today it was the Amnesty International. Don't they know I don't care about people I only care about the animals and the treeeeees.

Anyway, it got me thinking about charity and all that. Obviously I do care about people and would like to do my bit to help. But I have a phobia about setting up Direct Debits and giving my bank details to some organisation so they can take money out of my account every month and this includes charities. I have always popped spare change into charity boxes and I rarely accept a sticker (see, that is charity). But at the end of the day you can give all the money you have in the world to charity and still not feel like you're really helping. It's like it's too easy to put your hand in your pocket or something.

So that means volunteering. Me and Jamie were gonna volunteer for an animal sanctuary but we were put off by the main woman who was an ice maiden. Does that make us bad, uncaring people? She was really horrible. But surely if we really cared about the wee animals we would have looked past that? Well, we didn't. We'll just find another sanctuary to work for.

No comments: