Site Meter

Sunday, July 16, 2006

I'm Happy Just Because

One of my favourite song lyrics of all time has to be from Within You Without You by the Beatles.

When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind is waiting there,
And the time will come when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you


It was written by George Harrison so that explains the hippy, 'one-love' vibe. I honestly believe that George Harrison was the real musical genius of the Beatles. A very underrate artist. Ok, so he did do some cheese but they all did. Even Lennon would have if he'd lived longer.

I love this lyric and this song because it reminds us how small we are in the grand scheme of things. I also love this lyric by Bright Eyes,

Oh my morning's coming back,
The whole world's waking up,
All the city buses swimming past,
I'm happy just because,
I found out I am really no-one


When I told my friend that I really liked it he said 'Why?'
I said that I thought it was cool to be happy because you are no-one and he said 'Why? Isn't it better to be someone?'

Is it?

6 comments:

Nelly said...

I think it's more zen to accept that I'm no-one.

hootchinhannah said...

And does it make you happy?

Anonymous said...

i agrre wi Nelly, to accept that your no-one is realising that your someone i fink cus in the big scheme, i.e. gaia we are all someone we all play a part, weather negative or positive, our actions have reactions, which spread. So therefore if we all effect the equilibrium, we are all someone.

Nelly said...

It makes me happy enough. It's like jazz sez.

benjamin soule said...

Living in a individualistic world is sometime very tiring, if you found out that you are no one, you can simply save a lot of time for enjoying life.

Bombay Boy said...

My interpretation is that by "no one" he means we are nothing in front of death because death is a great leveller; it is inevitable... it does not discriminate. And he finds happiness in this realisation. The entire song is more or less about looking at death positively.