Site Meter

Friday, July 17, 2009

On The Lane

Isn't having a computer fantastic! But it is y'know. You can downoad music and films, send emails, write blogs, buy ANYTHING, play games, look at photos, absorb useless information and tootle your life away. But a computer is like a home. If you hang about it too long it gets messy and cluttered. And while I should be tidying my room I'd rather clean up my computer.

I was out driving up and down Clint's lane today. I say driving but I'm still struggling with actually starting the car. There's so much to think about. Clutch, gears, handbrake, acceleration. I'm so busy concentrating on all that that I forget about steering the wheel. It's Bert who's taking me out. The first time he said he nearly wore a hole in the floor 'braking'. Tonight he came out with his tobacco pouch. It's hard work though. It comes naturaally to some people but I'm definitely not one of them. Despite that I'm well pleased with myself 'cause I'm doing a lot better than I thought I would. Small steps though. The idea of driving along side other cars still scares the shit out of me.

3 comments:

Hails said...

I only learned about 3 or 4 years ago. Took me a year of intensive practice and 3 goes at the test! To be honest, it only really started to feel natural to me after I'd been out and about on my own for a couple of months. I know that's not much help when you've the test to pass first.

This was meant to be all encouraging but I seem to have ended up agreeing with all your worries. Sorry about that! But have fun. :)

Musings of Mel said...

You can do it dude, you can! I had the fear of driving beside other cars too - I was convinced 2 cars couldn't possibly fit on 1 road and felt like I might crash but it was all good. Just keep between the hedges and you will be fine!

Just think - if you do your test before January then you can zoom around in Mexico and further. Mind you - in Asia the car hire people wanted our passport and didn't seem to care much whether we had a licence or not so you could probably just rent a car anyway!
Hope you're well - lots o love from Edinburgh.
xx

hootchinhannah said...

Don't worry Hails, I'm just happy to have started. I already know it's going to take me ages so at least I'm not disappointing myself.

Mels, it would be good driving in S.America because then I wouldn't have to take any scary bus journey's.