Site Meter

Friday, December 14, 2007

Mai Kow Jai

I'd only met one person from Thailand before I went there. He taught me how to say 2 things, 1 of which I remembered how to say but had forgotten what it meant and the other, I'd forgotten how to say it but I knew what it meant.

My first day of teaching in Thailand one of the teachers asked me if I could speak any Thai. I told her I knew one thing and that was mai kow jai. She smiled and said I don't understand and I thought my Thai was obviously erible until a few days later I realised that mai kow jai means I don't understand.

The second phrase was arai wah and I'd been hearing it a lot from my students when I asked them a question. Pretty much immediately I remembered that it means what the fuck? and so I demanded that there would be no arai wah-ing in my classroom. Then I taught the teachers and heard them also saying it. I had to resign myself to the fact that Thai people quite often say what the fuck? whether they are children or adults.

4 comments:

Mudflapgypsy said...

Always good to learn how to swear in other languages. You never know when you'll need to use it.

Hope you are happy being home.

hootchinhannah said...

Yes, always good to know your swear words in different languages. Especially when you are working with children.

Anonymous said...

"Hope you are happy being home."

Well?

hootchinhannah said...

Yes, yes, I'm happy being home thankyou.