Site Meter

Friday, March 16, 2007

Decisions Decisions

A vacancy for a senior sales position has opened up at work. I'm umming and aahing about whether or not to apply for it. I know I am capable of doing the job but I also know that that wouldn't necessarily mean I would get the position. My reasons for not wanting to do it would be that I don't plan for a future career in retail and I'd have to work Saturdays. I also don't know if I would feel comfortable telling my peers what to do. I like my work comrades and would hate for them to resent me if I was to be bossing them around. At the same time I know the staff on my floor are competent and wouldn't need too much bossing around. But I like the dynamics as they are. Hate the work but I like my place within it.

Reasons to go for it would be that it would look good on my CV whether I have a future in retail or not. I've been there a year and a half now and it would look good if I moved up rather than being there 2 years and going nowhere. Obviously an increased wage would help and I know that the girls I work with would rather that I was bossing them around than someone who they didn't get on with. That's not even to say that I would be bossy. I'm just scared that I might be. When I asked the girl who has been promoted from senior sales if I should apply for it she said she had thought of me but she wondered if I would be authoritative enough. She said I should definitely consider it even just to get the practice with the interview.

I think the thing that puts me off the most is the worry that if I did get the position I wouldn't be very good at it. At the minute, as it is, I'm excellent at my job. Although I hate working for a company like them I can't help but take pride in a job well done. I like to be praised and they praise me a lot.

I suppose if I got the position and hated it it would only be short term. It would help me save quicker to get away quicker. I suppose it's not the end of the world if I'm not brilliant at it. It's not my dream in life so it shouldn't bother me. I don't mind change I just hate making the decisions that lead to it.

7 comments:

Zoe said...

I think you should go for it.

hootchinhannah said...

Thanks Zoe I think I probably will.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have already made your decision. The person who said you should do because of the experience of the interview is right. If you don't get it it won't kill you and it might help encourage you to move on. Also being senior doesn't mean you have to boss anyone around.

So good luck.

hootchinhannah said...

I suppose the main thing that puts me off is the responsibility that goes with it but I guess nobody ever gets anywhere in their career without being responsible. I should get the practice in while it's something that I don't really care about.

I shall talk to my line manager tomorrow.

David Todd said...

Yeah, go for it.
You'd regret it if...blah blah blah...

Mudflapgypsy said...

I concur with the rest, go for it.

hootchinhannah said...

Hmmm, no sooner had I made the decision to apply The Fear hit me. I'm still gonna go for it though. Screw The Fear.