Site Meter

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Laugh And The World Laughs At You

There are many good things in life. One of those good things is laughter. If I could laugh all day long I'd be a happy girl but there just isn't enough amusing stimuli.

When I have a lot of time on my hands to think, I think. I think about such things as laughing and why we do it. I know we do it because we find something funny and it tickles us but how do we come to have a sense of humour in the first place? At what age does our sense of humour begin to devlelop? Are humans born with a sense of humour or is it something which is developed by the environment around us?

Our taste in humour is very much like our interest in different types of music, films, books and art. Some people may share a sense of humour, others may clash over what they find funny but most people will agree that the ability to find things funny is a very important part of being human. If you were to scour through a magazine you would notice that everyone who is looking for love through personal ads is looking for someone with a GSOH (good sense of humour). The problem though is that most of us like to think we have a GSOH. You could be a woman looking for love and your idea of what's funny is French and Saunders or Fry and Laurie. The young man who replies to your ad thinks he has a GSOH because he laughs hysterically at Jackass and thinks Jonny Knoxville is a cominc genius. He thinks there's nothing funnier than watching students burn their pubes with lighters. Do you see the problem here?


Anyway, in honour of the beauty of laughing and the fun of making lists I have decided to compose a list of things that make me laugh. It is not a list of things I find funny but things that make me laugh, whether I want to or not:

1. Homer Simpson and Peter from Family Guy - these pair are geniuses when it comes to
dealing with difficult situations, Homer says let's go live under the sea and Peter suggests
living in imaginery land where you burp when you fart and you fart when you burp.

2. Bill Bailey - It's the crazed loon look in his eyes that gets me.


3. You've Been Framed - Yes, I know it's shameful but I can't help but laugh when
children/dogs/old people fall over.

4. Hilarious insults - insults are not big, they're not clever and they're not funny but
if they are hilarious I laugh.

5. The Mighty Boosh - I could argue the reason why I laugh at this is because I will laugh at
anything, ANYTHING, that contains the word 'mighty' but my argument would be ineviatbly
flawed.


Laughter is the best medicine. If you are feeling unwell today I prescribe 2 titters, 4 giggles, 1 guffaw and 2 big hearty belly laughs.








10 comments:

Anonymous said...

60's comedy radio shows that I used to listen to on my to the match in th car with me dad. Now to be found on bbc 7.
Oscar (almost 2 ) kicking me off his keyboard by saying "Sorry Mick"
Two women we met from Cumbria on holiday.
Newcastle 4 Stoke 1 in the FA Cup tonight not so funny.

hootchinhannah said...

No dad, Stoke getting horribly thrashed by Newcastle is definitely not funny.

Anonymous said...

i agree babe think il take your advice on that one.

hootchinhannah said...

I need to laugh like we laughed that night at yours Keara, when Brad was ghost hunting with an electric mosquito zapper tennis raquet device and Ann Marie showed us the hundreds of boxes of huge straws.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen Gravy Dave's letter in this weeks nme. Can probably found on nme.com rather than buying the mag. Agree with nme's comment though. Dad xzxxx

hootchinhannah said...

I tried looking for it but didn't find it. What was it about?

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha........


ganching

Anonymous said...

About his grandad getting him Amy Winehouse's cd for christmas ( a John Wayne dvd box set last year ). How stunning it was. Normally he wouldn't go out of his "way to listen to contemporary female singers as they all sound ironed out and bear the hallmarks of a textbook singing voice". You could have saved me the trouble of this, Dave, instead of going hahaha etc.nme said"where have you been for the last 12 months? Literally everyone (including your grandad ) knows how good Amy is. Dad xxxxx

hootchinhannah said...

Where has he been!? Hanging out at Hanley bus station probably. And how on earth did he find time to write t NME what with his busy social life?

Anonymous said...

I hate to say it but Johnny Knoxville is a comic genius because while his cohorts are pooing on dollhouses and putting toy cars where toy cars most definitely do not belong he is merely attempting to return a smashed up rental car containing blow-up dolls or getting shot out of cannons thus giving him an air of classiness he absolutely does not deserve. Plus that rental car thing is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
Eleanor