Site Meter

Friday, February 23, 2007

Dog's Lives and 42p Mix-Ups

Jamie and I are in the middle of a very serious debate at the minute. It involves the meaning and the origin of the saying It's a dog's life. Jamie takes it to mean that it's a bad life. I take it to mean that it's a good life. Who wouldn't want to be a dog? Running around chasing your tail, and balls and cats, going for walks, sleeping in front of the fire. Sounds like pure bliss to me.

I asked some girls in work. The first agreed with Jamie. Damn! Jamie 2 Hannah 1. But the second girl I asked agreed with me. Yay! Jamie 2 Hannah 2. I asked May and she agreed with Jamie. Boo! Jamie 3 Hannah 2. And May is all-knowing so it's not looking good for me. Then I remembered the entrance page for Zoe's old website. She says it's a Dog's life and shows a picture of 2 dogs looking very happy indeed. So she obviously agrees with me. Yay! Jamie 3 Hannah 3. And Zoe is also all-knowing. It doesn't mean I've won the debate but it does mean that I haven't lost it yet.

Last week I went to the local newsagents to spend my last 40p on penny sweets. Normally I count my own mix-up and tell the person at the counter how much it is. On this particular occasion the old fella that owned the shop was in. He obviously didn't like the look of me as when I gave him my bag he got a bowl out and started to count every single last sweet. Either I can't count or I'm a very bad girl but he counted 42p and I said that I thought it was 40. So he took 2 sweets out of the bag. I was raging. Raging because I'm 24 coming 25 and I was caught red-handed shoplifting 2p worth of sweets. I'll never work again. So I have vowed the next time he is in the shop I will be getting myself 5 pounds worth of penny sweets and as he is counting them out I will be doing all that I can to distract him. And when he's finished counting out all the sweets I'll tell him I don't want them anymore. I'll tell him that his sweets have obviously been lying arounf for a decade and they taste like shit anyway.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello my love,

A dogs life it a good life I thought however I found this online...

Most of our expressions that include dog are old enough to be based in times when dogs were not cosseted, but were kept as watchdogs or hunting animals, not as pets. They often weren’t allowed in the house, but were kept in kennels, fed scraps, worked hard, and often died young. So going to the dogs, dog tired, to die like a dog, dog’s dinner, dogsbody, dog eat dog, and a dog’s life all refer to a state of affairs best avoided. Specifically, a dog’s life is first recorded in the sixteenth century and seems to have remained in the language with the sense of “a life of misery, or of miserable subserviency” ever since.

Hhmmm - I still think dogs have brilliant lives and meanings of these kinds of things change - it used to be if you were 'gay' it meant happy/excited. Nowadays it doesn't, thus supporting my theory!

Hope your well and everything ok with Pearlie.

Speak soon.
Mel. xx

hootchinhannah said...

Pearlie seemed in quite good spirits and was even joking about taking a fella home with her. Poor Rosie was ran over last night so it is definitely not a good thing to have a dog's life. She'll be ok though. Fractured her shoulder and has nasty cuts but she was lucky.

Nelly said...

I'll even give you the fiver to wind that old skinflint up. What he should have done was say you could leave him the 2p next time.

hootchinhannah said...

Aye, or at least let me choose what 2 sweets to take back. Oul fecker.

Anonymous said...

i agree with you hannah, it can only be a good life i reckon

mikey x

hootchinhannah said...

There are a lot of people who believe that but I think Mel's nifty bit of research has proved that originally it meant it was a pretty shitty life.