Site Meter

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The People In My Life: Part 4

You'll notice a distinct lack of females so far. There have been many important, significant women in my life but just not at the minute. Except for my mum who has been my beacon for the past few years. To me, my mum and dad are lke yin and yang and I have developed a rather contradictory set of personality traits from them both. I have my dad's patience, gentleness and shyness and then I have my mum's temper, stubborness and tendency to worry. I don't mean to say that my dad has all the good personality traits and my mum has the negative because Nelly is one of the kindest people on the planet. She is intelligent, sharp and witty but she could cut you like a knife. And she'd have no qualms about doing so.

But really, my mum and dad are not so dissimilar and they are both caring, compassionate people. They both brought me up to respect and help others. Through the past few years my mum and I have grown together. There have been many painful times, painful memories to sift through and a rainbow of emotions to ride out. Never I have I worked so hard on a relationship in my life and been so lucky to have the other person work just as hard. And why? I truly believed that in order for any of my relationships to be successful I must first have a successful relationship with myself, and this involved opening myself up completely to the most important person in my life, the person that has had the most influence in my life, the person that brought me into this world. It was just something I had to do.

My mum is only wee but her personality is giant. People always flock to her and she blames Bert for the many visitors that pass through her door but she forgets that it is also her humour, sensitivity and kindness that keep people coming back. Humour is definitely one of my mum's strong points and I smile often at things she's said or stories she's told me. Really, I could write for hours about Nelly's vivacious personality and hilarious anecdotes but most people who read this blog know my mum and know how wonderful she is.

I am enjoying writing about the people in my life. In doing so I realise how lucky I am to have special connections with so many people (I'm not even done yet). Some people view them just as relationships with family and friends but they are more than that to me. They are adventures and challenges and a minefield of learning opportunities. I want deep connections with people because it makes me feel alive and it prepares me for what I want to do with my life.

3 comments:

Alexolovio said...

Very honestly. Thanks, you respect your readers. You do not tell him banal things. How do you manage to be so sincere? :)
What happens in the mind and heart of another person, it is always very interesting. Sometimes we read someone else's words, lines, but we do not feel a living person between them.
My Russian-language blog called "There is a man?" (I was inspired by a quote from Vladimir Nabokov: «... in the world not a single human who can speak my language; or, more simply, not a single human who can speak; or, even more simply, not a single human ... »)
A living person is more interesting than what is happening is not the sky, in the future, in the movies or in a book (for me).
Thanks again, I felt a living person in these lines.

Rob Z Tobor said...

Will Ziggy and the other beasts have a wee post :) . . . . . I suspect you are an old softie at heart.

hootchinhannah said...

Hi Alex, thanks for your comment. Sometimes my posts can be a little banal but this particular writing excites me and I celebrate those connections I have in life.

Rob, Ziggy will definitely have his tribute. I always call him my little baby boy. Judy Pudding will no doubt get one as well. I am very much an old softie at heart :)